The Digital Transformation Office of MICT is a department responsible for advising the Government on Information & Communication Technology (ICT) related matters, coordinating the development of national ICT related Policies such as the National ICT Policy 2019, and Digital Government Master Plan 2021, coordination of ICT projects throughout Kiribati, promoting the use of ICT in the country, responsible for cyber security advice and awareness programs for the general public.
With this vision, we aim to empower the citizens of Kiribati through providing ICT services to all including the most remote islands, enhancing democratic values and promoting social and economic sustainable development. The expansion, diversification and effective application of ICT will establish a transparent, responsive and accountable government through eGovernment; develop skilled human resources; enhance social equity; ensure cost-effective delivery of services through public-private partnerships and provide enhanced opportunities for education, health and emergency management services; and enable a knowledge-based society to secure a brighter future for all.
Key Responsibilities of the DTO include, but are not limited to the following:
- ICT strategy planning, implementing and supervising processes.
- Public relations activities on digital transformation issues.
- Development of National ICT Policies and implementation.
- Development of cyber security policy.
- Have the right to get information from government bodies about the needs and use of ICT systems.
- Interoperability Framework and ICT architecture. Coordination of ICT standardisation activities.
- Drafting the ICT budget in the state budget in cooperation with the Ministry of Finances. Digital Transformation Office is supervising and if needed auditing ICT systems development projects.
- Coordination of drafting of main ICT and information society-related legal acts. The office should have the right to present opinions and approve all ICT-related legal acts.
- Have the right to initiate new ICT-related legal acts.
- Planning and implementing training and awareness-raising activities.
- Coordinate the international cooperation activities in the field of digital transformation and ICT
- Initiate and coordinate national and cross-government ICT projects and programmes.
- Administrate and support digital government technical solutions, including infrastructure and applications.
- National cooperation on digital transformation with various stakeholder groups – academia, banks, telecoms, and various other user groups
- Recruitment of ICT staff in the Government.